What is Induction Cooking?
Induction cooking is a method of cooking that uses an induction cooktop that heats the pots and pans directly instead of using electric or gas-heated elements.
It is an amazing heat-free cooking technology that relies on magnets on the stove and the cooking pot to cook.
While induction technology has existed for decades, in recent times it has gained a lot of popularity as this technology is becoming more and more affordable, with more efficient models being produced.
For instance, induction cooking boils water for up to 50% faster amount of time as compared to the gas or electric current.
All this is done while maintaining a consistent temperature when heating.
The cooking surface also remains cool, which means that any spills and splatters of food do not bake onto the cooktop surface which ensures the clean-up work is always quick and easy.
How do Induction Cooktops Work?
An induction cooktop basically heats using electric currents to directly heat the pots and pans using magnetic induction, meaning that the induction heats the cooking vessel almost instantly.
An induction cooktop prepares food just like a gas or an electric stove.
It essentially turns the base of the cooking pot into the ‘stove’ which heats the food directly by itself. The hob of the actual cooktop does not generate heat.
With an induction cooktop, an electric current is passed through the copper wire which is underneath the cooking surface. The process thereby creates a magnetic current throughout the cooking pot in order to produce heat.
As the induction cooker does not use outside heat sources, the pan is the only element that will remain warm because of the heat being transferred from the pan.
The induction hob itself is a powerful electromagnet. When it comes into contact with a cooking pot, their combination creates a magnetic field that generates heat in the cooking pot, thus heating contents in the pot.
It is important to note that when this combination is broken (this is an instance when the pot is removed from the induction cooktop), no heat is further generated.
What are the benefits of Induction Cookers?
Induction cooking is one of the best methods of cooking because, unlike others, little heating energy gets lost. To get the full benefits of the induction cooktop, ensure that the induction cooktop stays in direct contact with the cooking pot.
If you cook frequently, you should consider upgrading to the use of an induction cooktop because it offers a good number of benefits.
The cooker boils water 50% much faster as compared to other heating methods.
The induction cooktop creates internal heat within the cooking pans and pots and it ensures that no heat is lost. With this water gets to boil at 50% much faster in comparison to other types of cookers.
As many reviews point out, more than 90% of heat energy goes directly into the cooking pan when using an induction cooktop.
Using a gas flame, on the other hand, delivers slightly less than 50% turnover and even lesser when using a traditional electric cooker.
An induction cooktop made of a glass-ceramic surface is also very easy to clean in comparison to other types of cooktops.
This is because the cooktop has a smooth surface, which makes the process of wiping much easier. Moreover, as the cooktop remains cool enough even after heating; it is usually easier to clean the messes on the cooktop immediately after cooking.
Having a warm, clean and soft cloth, while using the appropriate cleaner is one of the best cleaning options.
The cooker also offers precise temperature control options, which allow you to control heating foodstuffs more precisely as compared to other cooktop types ( electric and gas cooktops).
Having better temperature control also reduces the incidence of undercooking or overcooking your food. When you purchase the cooker, it comes with a guide having recommended temperature settings for each type of food.
For instance, it is recommended to use the high-temperature setting for boiling water only. The induction hobs are highly responsive; meaning the strength of the electromagnetic field is easily controlled.
This saves you the trouble of having to check under the pot to see how high the flame is.
The heat from the induction cooktop is almost instantaneous, offering a very powerful cooking companion.
Despite the size of the pot or the type of food you are preparing, the induction cooktop heats up rapidly which makes cooking easy and fast.
An induction cooktop can also be seemingly magical.
If the induction cooktop is tuned into maximum yet there is no cooking pot in contact with it, you can place your hand directly on top of the induction cooktop but you will not feel any heat because there won’t be any magnetic field being generated.
What pots and pans can I use on a portable induction cooktop?
Only certain types of cookware are compatible for use with the induction cooktop.
In order for any cookware to work at all using an induction cooktop, the pots and pans should be made of magnetic steel or iron.
Using aluminum or other types of cookware may not work. In most cases, the cookware may just heat up but it won’t actually cook up your food.
One of the best ways of assessing whether your cookware is compatible for use on an induction cooktop is to try to stick a magnet at the bottom.
If the magnet sticks, it means the cookware is compatible and suitable for use on an induction cooktop.
It is also important to note that you will get much better results for cooking if you use cookware that is of the same size as your induction cooktop.
What is the difference between a portable induction cooktop and a traditional hot plate?
Both traditional hot plates and portable induction cooktops are very handy and efficient for cooking.
However, each has its own methods of cooking, as well as different advantages and disadvantages.
Induction cooktops can only use certain elements for cooking; cookware made from magnetic metals such as iron or stainless steel.
Using any other cookware such as aluminum for an induction cooktop may not work. On the other hand, you can use any kind of cookware for a hotplate as long as it conducts heat.
The art of perfecting temperature settings and identifying the right heat for different types of food is more complicated when using an induction cooktop as opposed to a hotplate.
In fact, it may take a considerable amount of time before you learn how to use the right temperature settings when using an induction cooktop while for a hotplate it is much easier.
When it pertains to space, a traditional hot plate is much easier and consumes a relatively smaller space in comparison to the induction cooktop.
For a new user, the induction cooktop can be seemingly more complicated than any other cooker. This is because you will have to install induction into your kitchen, as well as get more suitable cookware.
For the hotplate, on the other hand, you just need a small corner and access to gas or electricity. If you are a frequent traveler or have a small kitchen, a traditional hotplate would be more appropriate.
The induction cooktop uses significantly less energy compared to the traditional hot plate.
This is because the pan on the induction hob is heated directly from the source, meaning less heat energy is used directly on the pan.
This makes the induction cooker energy-efficient and faster at heating compared to a traditional hotplate.
How to Choose an Induction Cooktop.
There are a number of factors you should consider when purchasing an induction cooker.
In this case, having a budget in mind and working around that will tremendously help you, as many induction cooktops are considerably more expensive than normal cookers.
You should also consider the different features you need. For instance, if you need a cooktop that uses significantly less energy, this should feature in your choices.
Always consult, check online reviews, and research thoroughly before settling on a particular induction cooktop model.
Induction Cooktop Reviews
This incredible induction cooktop may cost you a penny, but it will certainly be reliable and long-lasting.
It is a perfect unit for a small space, not to mention its ideal product weight of 4.4 pounds and a shipping weight of 7.2 pounds.
It has an ideal shape being flat-shaped for convenient and easy cooking, as well as a black color that is easy to clean. The surface of this induction cooktop also has two white-colored circles which represent the position on which the cooking pan is to be placed.
If you have small children, you need not worry because this cooktop has a child lock facility. The feature prevents children from changing the timer or heating setting that you have set for cooking.
You will just have to press a button on the cooktop to activate it and another button to switch it off.
There is also a timer button on this cooker, which enables you to change to your desired cooking time after which the cooking unit will automatically shut off.
If you have set the cooking time, you can alter by pressing the plus or minus alter buttons.
- It is compact and easy to carry from place to place, due to its lightweight nature (weighs 4 pounds) as well as its small size and shape.
- It cooks fast and easily while saving up a lot of energy.
- Using this induction cooktop requires having cookware of certain types of materials (ferromagnetic metals). Other materials may not work for this type of cooker.
If you are into having a nice cooker design, this cooker is best suited for you as it has a nice look and feels to it; having a black color and clean surface.
The induction cooktop is very lightweight and compact, making it easy for handling and storage. It also has a digital control panel with a digital time that offers users 1-minute time increments of up to 170 minutes.
Moreover, having no flame or direct heating element, spilled or splattered food on the cooking surface does not get baked making it easy to clean. It just needs some wiping from a damp clean cloth.
The auto-pan feature of this induction cooktop also ensures that the cookware turns off automatically after 1 minute if no cookware is detected on the surface, saving you energy.
The device also has diagnostic error message systems, which send signals when an error has occurred. Its low and high-voltage systems also protect you from any problem, if the voltage is too low or high.
This product will certainly be long-lasting, as it has a durable seven-blade fan that rapidly dissipates heat to give it a long shelf life.
- This device is incredibly easy to use, especially for beginners
- It is also a lightweight device that is easy to carry around as well as store, more so if you are a frequent traveler.
- To use this cooktop you will need to have new cookware, as it is only compatible with certain types of cookware.
- You will also experience some noise when cooking with this cooktop, mostly because of the fan system used in cooling.
- The timer settings of this induction cooktop only allow for 5-minute increments, as opposed to others which have one-minute increments.
If you are looking for a modern, up to the task, and fairly priced induction cooktop, then the Rosewill induction cooker is the best fit for you.
Using the Rosewill induction cooker 1800 watts will save significant amounts of energy, reduce the use of heat in your kitchen and make a variety of tasty dishes.
Some of its specifications include eight different temperature settings which range between 150 and 450 degrees Celsius. It has a large screen display that can be set for up to three hours and two different diameter burners.
One amazing feature about this cooktop is its two burners, one of which is located inside a larger one so that the units remain compact.
This ensures that for a pot even as small as 4 inches in diameter, you can comfortably cook on your induction cooktop.
This cooktop also heats up faster in comparison to other cookers. This is because it has eight different temperature settings to choose from and a wider range among them.
The Rosewill induction cooker can perform a variety of cooking activities ranging from deep-frying to boiling, roasting or even more.
Moreover, the device is appealing to the eye due to its beautiful crystal plate surface.
- It is a very fast and efficient device; as hot water can be boiled just within a few minutes
- Unlike other induction cooktops, this device is suitable for both larger pots and pans, and small ones.
- The device is considerably quieter than most other models.
- For such an affordable package, this device offers simplicity and ease of use.
- Some previous models of this device do not have the auto-off feature, which automatically switches off the device. However, you can counter this problem by purchasing newer versions, such as the programmed version.
- Some customers have also complained that their device has stopped working after a short time period of use.
True induction cooker is a cooker like non-other due to its amazing features. Through its simple and intuitive controls, your cooking experience will be amazing, coupled with speeds that were is previously unattainable.
For instance, it has a ceramic-glass surface which is incredibly easy to clean, as well as modern looking.
Some of its product features include:
- Overheating sensors which sense the type of cookware being used and automatically shuts down.
- A cooktop that is 90% energy efficient.
- A timer function which measures precise temperature settings for precise cooking.
- Induction elements which produce magnetic fields that react with iron cookware.
True induction cooker is made of high-quality burners that plug into standard sockets.
If you want to cut on energy usage, you can also count on True induction cooker which runs on 1800 watts of power, using less than half of energy as any regular cooktop.
Using a term known as advanced power invariance technology, the burners of this cooker are safe and operate at 1800 watts when the other burner is not on.
It is very portable and best for a variety of places including smaller spaces, parties, camping and where at least one burner is needed for cooking.
- This cooktop is very efficient, using half as less energy when compared to other cooktops; 1800 watts.
- They have a modern design and a control panel that is easy to use and operate.
- The glass-ceramic surface of this induction comer is scratch-resistant and easy to clean, greatly convenient if you have limited time.
- All True Induction cookers come with a 60-day free trial as well as a 2-year warranty.
- Just like most other types of induction cookers, you need special types of cookware; those made of ferromagnetic materials such as iron. Ordinary cookware may not work with this induction cooktop
- Some users have also complained that having two burners is quite useless as you can only use one burner at full speed. This is because it is a 110-volt unit, which does not have the power of a full 220-volt range. This means the device splits 1005 of its power between the two burners, as such both burners cannot operate at full speed at the same time.
If you love having a small cooking device, the Duxtop UltraThin Full Glass Top induction cooker is the best fit for you.
One of its unique features is its extra thin portable design which is 40% smaller than other previous models. It is light in weight and compact in nature for easy handling and storage.
The device also offers 15 different power levels which range from 100 watts to 1500 watts. It has a digital control panel that is built-in with a digital timer of up to 170 minutes.
Its auto-pan detection will also switch off the unit automatically after a few seconds if no cookware is detected on the cooking surface.
- It has a wider number and variance of levels, which can go from cold to warm to cooking inconsistent stages. For instance, this model goes from 140 to 160 then 180, which is great for overall cooking.
- It is also portable and compact, thus usable for small spaces.
- It is only compatible with certain types of cookware, just like other induction cooktops.
This 1800 watts portable induction cooker is a great choice if you are looking to save energy as it uses only 120 volts of power which a standard for many homes.
It is also light in weight and easy to handle and store as well as a heat-resistant glass-looking surface. Its digital control panel has a built-in digital timer with 1-minute increments of up to 100 hours.
It is a great device, black in color, and highly portable.
- It is compact and easy to handle and store
- It is an energy-efficient device compared to other models
- Just like other induction cooktops. Only certain types of cookware are suitable for use with this device
This cooktop has six different pre-set temperature settings, having the flexibility to cook at 52 different temperatures of between 100 and 575 degrees Fahrenheit.
This device also has programmable cooking functionality, with up to 100 hours of program memory and performance.
Moreover, this device boasts of modern safety features like automatic shut off when the cooking pan is removed from the cooktop.
- It has good temperature control settings with a wide variance of temperatures for cooking
- It can be operated using solar energy
- Some users have complained that it’s somewhat expensive for its limited features.