Popeyes Mashed Potatoes Recipe
Popeyes mashed potatoes are the perfect side dish for almost every main dish. With so many potato recipes out there, you may wonder which one stands out. The answer is this Popeyes mashed potatoes recipe which will not disappoint your taste buds.
Mashed potatoes are the ultimate comfort food and perfect side dish. Not only is it a healthy food, it also goes well with most main dishes including shepherd’s pie, fried chicken, green beans, and lamb chops.
I guarantee you that mashed potatoes always elevate your dish to the next level. It is no wonder most fast-food restaurants now have mashed potatoes in their menus.
In this article, we will look at a secret recipe you can use to make delicious Popeyes mashed potatoes in your own kitchen.
Why this recipe work
This recipe works for the following reasons;
Short preparation time
I love this copycat Popeyes recipe because it has a relatively short preparation time. The approximate total time you will need for this recipe is one hour.
Readily available ingredients
The ingredients you need for this mashed potatoes recipe are readily available. You can find them in any grocery store near you.
You won’t have too many dishes to clean after making this recipe. This has always been a plus for me.
It is great for beginners
If this is your first time making mashed potatoes, you will love this recipe. The instructions are easy to follow and you won’t have a hard time at all.
Also. Check Out: How to Freeze and Reheat Mashed Potatoes. HERE
If you can’t find any of the ingredients listed above, you are free to use suitable substitutes. Here are a few recommendations.
Yukon gold potatoes
The best substitute for Yukon gold potatoes in this recipe is Russet potatoes. Russet potatoes have a dark brown skin and white flesh. When mashed, they have a creamy texture, making it a suitable substitute for Yukon old potatoes.
If you don’t have garlic cloves on hand, you can use garlic powder. Garlic powder almost perfectly mimics the flavor of garlic cloves. For every garlic clove that your recipe requires, use ¼ teaspoon garlic powder.
There are few substitutes you can use in place of unsalted butter including mayonnaise, butter milk, Greek yoghurt, and coconut oil. I highly recommend using mayonnaise because its flavor blends perfectly with that of potatoes. Buttermilk is also a good option because it will make your mashed potatoes smooth and fluffy.
You can substitute heavy cream with coconut cream or coconut milk. Coconut cream contains 20% fat, so you are guaranteed creamy mashed potatoes. Alternatively use a mixture of milk and butter in place of heavy cream. Melt ¼ cup of butter with ¾ cup of milk and use the mixture to substitute 1 cup of heavy cream.
Substitute whole milk with any kind of milk. You can use almond milk, hemp milk, cashew milk, or coconut milk. Coconut milk is my personal favorite because it gives the mashed potatoes a pleasant coconut flavor.
Extra virgin olive oil
A good substitute for extra virgin olive oil is coconut oil. Coconut oil is similar to extra virgin olive oil in terms of consistency and it will give your mashed potatoes a slightly different but pleasant flavor.
The most common substitute for white pepper is black pepper. Its flavor is similar to that of white pepper and the two are often used interchangeably. Other options include cayenne pepper, nutmeg, and paprika.
Popeyes Mashed Potatoes Recipe
- Potato peeler A potato peelerwill come in handy in removing the potato ski from your potatoes.
- Cutting board You will need a cutting board to easily cut the potatoes into 3-inch pieces
- Sharp knife A sharp knife is required to cut the potatoes and garlic cloves
- Medium saucepan You will need a saucepan to cook your potatoes in.
- Wooden masher The best way to mash potatoes is by using a potato masher.
- Serving bowl You will need a serving bowl to serve the Popeyes mashed potatoes in.
- 8 medium-sized Yukon Goldpotatoes
- 1 ½ teaspoon Salt
- 8 Garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons Unsalted butter
- 1 cup Heavy cream
- 2 cups Whole milk
- 2 tablespoons Extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon Freshly ground white pepper
- The first thing you should do is peel the potatoes and cut them into three inch pieces. Likewise, peel the garlic cloves and use a sharp knife to cut them into half.
- Pour water into a medium-sized pan over medium heat and bring it to a boil.
- Add your potatoes to the boiling water, wait for a minute, then add the salt, white pepper and garlic.
- Cover the saucepan with its lid, reduce the heat and let the ingredients simmer over medium heat.
- Let the potatoes cook for 15-20 minutes then use a fork to check whether they have cooked through. The fork should effortlessly pierce through the potatoes. If not, let them cook for a little bit longer on low heat.
- Drain any water left in the saucepan, place it back on the stove top and adjust the settings to high heat.
- Toss the boiled potatoes in the saucepan until all excess water dries up then transfer the yellow beauties to a bowl.
- Use a wooden masher to mash the potatoes to your desired consistency then melt butter in a large sauce pan over medium heat and transfer the mashed potatoes to the pan.
- Add in the milk, heavy cream, and olive oil then whisk the mixture for about 5 minutes or until all the ingredients are completely combined.
- Transfer the mashed potatoes to a serving bowl, sprinkle some salt and pepper on top and serve.
Can you freeze?
While most people prefer making mashed potatoes right before eating, mashed potatoes freeze quite well, so you can make them beforehand and freeze them for later. The key to perfectly frozen mashed potatoes is using extra cream and real butter while cooking them.
To freeze your Popeyes mashed potatoes, use a cup to scoop mounds of the mashed potatoes to a parchment lined baking sheet, leaving enough space between the mounds. Place the baking sheet in your freezer for at least five hours or until the mashed potatoes are completely frozen.
Once frozen, transfer the mashed potatoes to freezer bags or an airtight container then place them in your freezer. Frozen mashed potatoes will retain their quality for up to one month in the freezer.
You can reheat the mashed potatoes on your stovetop, microwave, oven, or slow cooker.
How to Reheat Sweet and Sour Chicken. Click to Read.
How to store
If you have leftover mashed potatoes, let them cool at room temperature then transfer them to an airtight container and place the container in your refrigerator.
They will last for up to 4 days. If you want them to last longer, you should freeze them as discussed above.
Mashed potatoes can’t be a complete meal without gravy. This Popeyes cajun gravy is easy to prepare. You will need;
- Ground Beef
- Bacon grease
- Veal stock
- All-purpose flour
- Onion powder
- Celery seed
- Tabasco sauce
- Worcestershire sauce
- Thyme leaves
- Olive oil
- Cajun seasoning
To make the gravy, melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat, add the garlic and oregano then sauté for 10 seconds. Add in the pepper ,celery, and sauté for one minute. Season with thyme leaves, onion powder, dry mustard and salt. Set the sauteed vegetables aside.
Heat the olive oil and bacon grease in a skillet over medium heat then add in your flour and whisk until bubbles form. Add the sauteed vegetables, add in your paprika, and use a wooden spoon to mix the ingredients.
Add in water, veal stock, Worcestershire sauce, pepper, and tabasco sauce. Let the gravy boil then simmer for 3-5 minutes.
Combine the ground beef with a little bit of pepper then add it to the simmering gravy. Cook the gravy until the meat cooks completely. Be sure to stir frequently so that no lumps form. When the beef cooks completely, add in the celery and onion powder. Cook for 60 seconds and turn off the heat.
This gravy is as tasty as it looks.
Is there milk in Popeyes mashed potatoes?
Our copycat recipe contains whole milk. However, if you want a dairy-free option, you can use the milk substitutes discussed above. Coconut milk, almond milk, and cashew milk are great dairy-free options. Popeyes menu also has dairy free options.
Are mashed potatoes healthy?
Mashed potatoes are in fact very healthy. They are rich in potassium, vitamin A, dietary fiber, and antioxidants, all of which are essential nutrients for your body.
Foods rich in antioxidants are known to aid in weight loss. You should consider ditching French fries and go for mashed potatoes as the healthier option.
Do Popeyes put meat in their mashed potatoes?
No. Popeyes don’t put meat in their mashed potatoes. The mashed potatoes are usually served with Popeyes cajun gravy.
Popeyes’ gravy recipe contains chicken and ground pork, but the meat is added directly to the mashed potatoes. You get to choose whether or not you want the Popeyes gravy on your serving of Popeyes mashed potatoes.
Sliced Baked Potatoes With Cheese Recipe
If you plan to freeze your mashed potatoes, do not add beef broth or chicken broth to the potatoes while cooking.
The mashed potatoes won’t freeze well if they have stock or broth in them.