I love ground beef stroganoff simply because it is a comforting meal that is easy to make and can feed your entire family with just a short list of ingredients.
It is a hearty meal made from scratch with fresh ingredients which are quite healthy and the best thing about it is how quickly it comes together.
I love dishes that don’t require me to spend so much time in the kitchen, especially on weeknights when my days are busy so this ground beef stroganoff is definitely a winner.
Tips for the best ground beef stroganoff
- Always use fresh white mushrooms to get the best results. If you are unable to get them, you can use cremini or Portobello since they work just as well. I don’t recommend canned mushroom for this recipe.
- Always use ground beef for the best flavor. If you intend to substitute it with anything else like ground turkey or ground pork, add some extra beef bouillon in order to get that super-rich flavor.
- Use condensed canned beef broth for the best flavor
- Do not add the sour cream to the beef mixture while it is still on heat because it may curdle. Only add it once you have removed it from heat
- For a thicker sauce, add some cornstarch slurry to your desired consistency.
I love my ground beef stroganoff served with egg noodles but it can also go well with mashed potatoes or sweet potatoes.
Serve it with a side of salad and a loaf of fresh crusty bread to sop up the rich sauce left on your plate.
What to do with leftovers
Refrigerate in a sealed airtight container for 3-4 days or freeze it if you want it to last longer. To reheat, simply put it in your microwave or a stovetop on low heat until it is warm.
This ground beef stroganoff features tender mushrooms and lean hamburger cooked in a rich sauce. It is easy to make and is always ready in just a few minutes (approximately 40 minutes), making it the ultimate weeknight meal.
This recipe can serve up to 5 people, if you need to serve more, simply increase the portions of the ingredients.
Ground Beef Stroganoff
1 lb. ground beef
2 cups of beef broth
1 cup of sour cream
1 lb. fresh sliced mushrooms
1 diced small onion
1 minced clove of garlic
3 tablespoons of flour
2 teaspoons of Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons of fresh parsley
In a pan, brown your onion, garlic, and ground beef without breaking it up too much. After it turns brown, drain the fat.
Add your sliced mushrooms to the ground beef and cook for approximately 3 minutes.
Stir in your 3 tablespoons of flour and cook for one minute.
Add the beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper, and then bring it to boil. Once it boils, reduce heat and let it simmer for about 10 minutes on low heat.
As it simmers, cook your egg noodles according to your preference.
Remove the beef mixture from heat then add your sour cream and parsley.
Serve it over your already cooked egg noodles and enjoy!